By Sarah Mason, owner of Cape Cod Nail Co.
Photographer, CHECK! Flowers, dress, cake, CHECK! Hair & Makeup, CHECK & CHECK! …But what about your wedding day mani?! With so many details to plan and coordinate, nails for the big day can easily get overlooked. Your hands however, can show up in a lot of detail shots. We’re here to give you a few tips to get your nails wedding day ready and how to narrow down your color choices.
Keep it simple!
If you struggle with your natural nails, there’s no need to go crazy and invest in a full set of artificial nails just for your wedding…especially if you’re not used to wearing them. Bi-weekly manicures will do wonders leading up to your wedding day. We recommend starting a regimen at least three months out. Regular maintenance will help curb stress biting and picking, heal and condition unsightly cuticles, and promote healthy nail growth. If getting to the salon isn’t practical, you can absolutely DIY at home! Here’s a few tips to follow for wedding ready nails:
- Use a nail strengthener! (We love Duri Rejuvacote.) Biotin is also great for supporting healthy hair, skin, nails, as is drinking plenty of water.
- Cuticle oil is a must! Dadi Oil is a great option. Use it generously! Keep a bottle in your purse. If you pick your nails or cuticles, slather on some oil every time you start to pick. If you have cracked or open skin around your nails, Neosporin also works great to moisturize and heal.
- Keep your nails on the shorter side. Letting your nails grow too long will increase the chances of a break. File your natural nails with a fine grit file, keeping them nice and even.
- Don’t cut your cuticles! Gently push them back but don’t go to town with the nippers. Leave that part for the professionals! Cutting cuticles can cause peeling, painful and sensitive skin, and even infection.
- Avoid using your nails as tools and wear gloves when doing the dishes.
Now the fun part: Let’s pick a COLOR!
Believe it or not, brides are moving away from the traditional French manicure. We’re seeing more reds, blues, and even dark purples and bright pinks on our brides. Don’t be afraid to have fun with your nails! Your pedicure is the perfect way to add in a last minute “something blue.” Even shorter nails look great with a darker or bright color. Let your personality shine through!
When picking a color, consider your accent colors and colors from your bouquet. Pick a seasonal color or play on your wedding theme. If your wedding is super glam, black tie, elegant…maybe a metallic will polish your look! If you’re more boho or natural, a taupe or earth tone would be a great choice! And of course, if a neutral is your comfort zone, have at it! There’s nothing more timeless than a clean classic manicure. Here’s a few tips to picking a color shade that’s right for you:
- Choose two shades lighter or darker than your skin tone to add contrast. Avoid choosing a color too close to your skin tone.
- If neutral is your wedding day go to, avoid wearing bright or dark colors leading up to your wedding day. They can stain and be difficult to remove.
- Your nails don’t have to match your accent or bouquet, they should however compliment the colors to not complete the look.
- Book your nail appointment three months out and no more than two days before your wedding day. Have your favorite clear coat on hand. Use a coat of clear at the first signs of wear to save and extend the life of your main through your honeymoon.
Whether you decide to DIY or treat yourself, we’re confident you now have all the tools for flawless wedding day nails! If you’re feeling overwhelmed, check out Cape Cod Nail Co.’s favorite bridal colors to get started and reach out anytime for more advice on specific nail troubles!